Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day in America!

OK America, on this Independence Day, perhaps it’s time for a re-assessment of our claim as the greatest country on earth.   Don’t get me wrong, I love this place, but we are not without flaws!

Given the Republican primaries, among other things, I’ve revisited the concept of America’s greatness.   C’mon!   If for nothing else, the fact that so many Americans actually voted for Bachmann, Santorum, & Cain & Perry or believed that “birther” Trump was worthy of the office of the Presidency continues to scare the sh*t out of me!   Did I mention Newt?   Add to that, 47% of the American electorate thought that Sarah Palin qualified to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency still has me shaking in my boots.

America is a leader among the world in religious beliefs, incarceration and defense spending!   Is that greatness?   Sadly enough there are some Americans that still believe that President Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya.   But American intelligence is a whole ‘nother matter.   I’m certain that many Americans probably couldn’t pass the test to become a naturalized citizen.   These are the very same people that are probably fighting immigration reform tooth and nail.

America is a divided nation.   Some have said it’s the college educated, the minorities and the young…versus everyone else.   Red state versus blue state!   Our issues are many and they add to this divisiveness:

In spite of all of this, I do believe that America can lay claim to the title of “Land of Opportunity”.   I love this country and most…but not all...of its people.   But given the current climate and state of affairs…I question its greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment