Friday, July 20, 2012

I’ve been to hell…and it’s called the DMV!

Yep…the Department of Motor Vehicles.   Hell on earth!   Okay...for the dozen or so of you that stumble into this blog, you may know that I’m a procrastinator.   My procrastination laid the groundwork for my ordeal at the DMV!

The registration for my “male menopause” Jaguar expired a month ago!   I just realized that today.   My drivers license expires on Sunday.   Say Happy Birthday folks!   So yesterday I decided to kill two birds with one stone...renew my drivers license and register the “male menopause machine”.

Enter the DMV.   Queue up in the “Information” queue (30+ people on line waiting for information).   You have to enter this queue to figure out your next queue.   45 minutes later, I explain to the DMV “information” clerk that I need to renew my license and re-register the Jag.   The clerk looks as though this is the last place he wants to be.   He hands me a ticket (#64) and directs me to the waiting room to my right.   As I enter, I hear over the loudspeaker #45!

An hour later, I heard the number 64!   Bingo!   I approach the counter manned by an attractive middle aged black woman with a short blondish Afro...quite attractive...even a pleasant smile no less.   Ms. Blondish Afro informs me that I can renew my license but not my registration for the “male menopause” Jag.   Why?   I need to get an emissions control certification BEFORE I can renew the registration!

Once I do that, I get the privilege of returning to the DMV “information” queue!

Postscript:
Why do so many people at the DMV and my local post office look as though it is the last place they want to be?   If you don’t like serving the public, why take a job serving the public?   Do you notice, regardless of how long the lines are, some of the employees disappear?   Try to look busy doing something other than calling out the word "next"!   Go off on a break or whatever?   I think folks at the DMV and the post office ought to receive an additional incentive based on the number of people they serve.   Say one dollar per person.   I bet those lines would start moving real quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment