Sunday, October 21, 2012

Don’t blame me!   I voted for McGovern!

At the 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami Beach, Florida, George McGovern delivered his acceptance speech as the Democratic Presidential nominee.   His speech was delayed for several hours that night as delegates fought over the party platform.   He eventually accepted the nomination around 2 am.

I stayed up that night to watch McGoverns's acceptance speech.   I didn’t get to bed until 3AM that night/morning!   I had high hopes back then.

  This was the second time that I voted for the President of the United States and I voted for George McGovern.   I actually thought he had a shot at this.   Unfortunately (at least for me) Nixon won by a landslide!   Nixon took every state except Massachusetts (and the District of Columbia).   I was in a state of shock…but Watergate eventually proved me right!

Rest in Peace George McGovern.

No comments:

Post a Comment