Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

Yesterday, my wife and I were sitting at the kitchen table.   I think she was perusing through the newspaper’s various supermarket circulars…ie…what’s on sale this weekend.   I was looking out the window thinking about a lot of stuff and daydreaming.

I’m not that big of a fan on all the hoopla around Father’s Day (or even my birthday for that matter).   I like to fly under the radar.   So I was thinking…think ahead…if the Mrs. or my local daughter…as opposed to my foreign daughter (she’s in Germany)…asked me what I wanted for Father’s Day…my answer was going to be…potato salad.   Plain and simple!   No gifts…no dinner out…no nothin’…just potato salad…my all time favorite!   I knew sooner or later that question was going to be asked!   Again…at that very moment, I was just thinking and daydreaming.

Within the next 30 seconds…my wife looked at me and said “I’m thinking about making some potato salad for you for Father’s Day”!   I damn near fell of the chair!   I then told her what I was thinking about…at the time of her potato salad announcement.   Amazing!   That’s what 38 years will do!

OK…fast forward 24 hours and Happy Father’s Day!   She’s off to the supermarket, sales circulars in hand…and I’m thinking about the fatherless…and blogging.   It’s a very beautiful…cool calm day.   I got a call from both daughters and spoke to both son-in-laws.   What more could I ask for.   Just the way I wanted it…with no big hoopla!

So who could think that taking some of these basic ingredients; potatoes, eggs, celery and red peppers…

And throwing in some mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, relish…and of course some salt and pepper and a dash of paprika and a few other of her secret ingredients…massaging it all…(yeah…I said massaging not mixing) and it turns into this!

Add some slow cooked ribs (in the oven…no less…not BBQ’d) and some jerked chicken wings along with some baked beans and grilled sweet corn and viola!   So what’s wrong with this picture?   The Mrs. says it needed some fresh tomatoes…for color!

I didn’t need any color!   And the good news…there are leftovers!

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment