Monday, June 25, 2012

Lady & Son’s Chicken in Wine Sauce!

As an unemployed boomer…I have some free time on my hands…especially if I’m not playing Grand-dad!   So one day I’m surfing the cable channels and came across this beauty.   I’m no cook…but 10 minutes prep (ok...maybe 20 to 30 at least for me)…and 45 minutes in the oven…and rated easy on the Food Network…I had to give it a try.   Made it that day, and it was totally devoured within 2 hours from emerging from the oven!   That was a few years ago and I've made it for the umpteenth time!   Made it again today!   It's become a family favorite.

You can find Paula Dean’s original recipe (and video) here...but here’s what I did in simple layman’s terms.   Like I said…I’m no cook…but I’ve got a few dishes up my sleeve!

The Ingredients:

  • 1 package of Perdue’s "Perfect Portions" chicken breasts (there are 5 pieces in the package)…I'm told that they're a little expensive...but then again...little to no fat, thus little to no getting rid of the fat! 
  • 1 ½ cans of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup. This time I used the “herbed” variety. 
  • 7 slices of Swiss Cheese (if using the Perdue’s prepared chicken) 
  • ½ cup of wine wine (I used a moderately price Cabernet Sauvignon Blanc…$.799…ok…a cheap bottle of Sauvignon Blanc) 
  • 1+ cup of “herbed bread crumbs” (I used Pepperidge Farm's…both of my wife’s uncles worked there for decades!) 
  • Kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder (you figure out how much…see the preparation below) 
  • 6 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter

The Process:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees 
  • Cut the 5 Perdue pieces in half (don’t ask why…it just worked out better and I think stretches the serving size options) 
  • Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides 
  • Spray a casserole pan (3 quart pan???) with “butter spray”…I used Pam
  • Place the chicken in the pan 
  • Add the 7 swiss cheese slices so that they cover the chicken 
  • Mix the wine and soup together 
  • Pour the wine/soup mixture over the cheese and cover all the cheese/chicken combo 
  • Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top 
  • Sprinkle melted butter over the top of the breadcrumbs 
  • Place in oven for 45 minutes

Viola!
Throw in some roasted small red potatoes, some steamed asparagus and the mandatory "jellied" cranberry sauce...and damn!   The leftovers (when there are any)…are over the top!

Postscript:
OK...so probably not the healthiest, especially if you're on a diet!   I'm not...but I definitely should be!   Butter, bread crumbs, condensed cream of chicken soup...and did I mention the Swiss cheese?   But still damn good!

PS: Next time I think I'll add a few more bread crumbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment