Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Transition...

I don’t know when it actually happened.   It wasn’t any particular day…month or year…but for the majority of us male baby boomers…I think it eventually happens!   On February 8, 1988, I quit smoking…cold turkey!   I think that was the beginning of end or the start of the transition.

Perhaps all those years of smoking had cut back on my appetite.   During that next week or so…my head was buried in the refrigerator and I ate damn near everything in sight.   Up until that time, I had smoked for over twenty five years and I was exceeding over 2 packs a day!!!   They cost a dollar a pack back in those days!

I was a consistent 183 pounds for the previous 20 years!   No exercise…no nothin’!   I think the newly evolved (1987) love affair with rum (Bacardi LIGHT please)…and tonic...Schwepps diet…(yeah I said diet) didn’t help matters either!   (Try this combo and you’ll never go back…throw in a slice of lime…and you’re one step away from heaven!)   But I digress!

What transition you may ask?   Smoking cessation?   Giving up the gin & tonic for the rum & tonic?   I only wish that were the case!   There is a certain point in time, for many of us male baby boomers, that you and your loved ones no longer refer to your mid-section as your stomach!

Why?   For those of you that may have been lucky enough to have had a stomach (or worse yet…abs) at one point in your life…it’s no longer there!   It just went away!   So what happened?   Where did that stomach or those abs go?   Well my friend…they evolved.   They transitioned.

Hello world…where the f**k has my stomach gone?   For that matter…where have my genitals gone?   I can barely see them anymore!   Oh…let me look in the mirror.   Yes!   I see them!   Thank god!

They’re still there…but the stomach ain't!

Hello…BELLY!

Damn!

Post script:
Perhaps there is still a stomach in my future…despite my age!   Stomach…perhaps!   Abs?   Who am I kidding!

Oh…as an aside…as the saying goes…”Live and Learn (and google)”…there is a small segment of the male population that loves them some (hairy bellies)!   Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment