Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Some of my best friends are...

I don’t know where to start with this.   I've touched on this before.  This entry could wind up taking me all over the place.   But I need to keep it short for now.   Bottom line…suffice it to say that I am extremely fortunate to have family, friends and acquaintances from all walks of life.   Notice I said fortunate…not “blessed” (that’s a whole ‘nother story).

I know there’s the infamous cliché…”some of my best friends are" _________ (fill in the blank).   Well I can expand that to say all the people that I love and hold dear to my heart are!   Are what?   White, Latino, Asian, gay, Christian, Jewish…and the list goes on.   Hell…there’s even a few Republicans and Evangelical Christians in the mix!   I’m extremely lucky to have all of them in my life.   We have our differences, but we respect and love each other for who we are.

I feel sorry for people who live in isolated enclaves.   Not only for them…but for this country as a whole.   If they could broaden their sphere…they would see how much we all have in common.   There’s really nothing to fear.   I’m sure it would eliminate a lot of the hatred and prejudice…especially here in America…not to mention the world!   Yeah…definitely the world too!

Gonna post some more about this soon…but I’m a procrastinator…so we’ll have to see how soon is soon!

PS.
One of my best friend’s daughters is getting married this summer and I plan to attend the wedding in Iowa City Iowa no less.   He is a devout Evangelical Christian (and an old fraternity brother).   I plan to fly to Chicago and meet another old fraternity brother (a Republican).   We’ll drive to Sioux City together.   Amazing…if I say so myself.   I’ll probably be the only black person there…but I can deal with that.   It won’t be the first time!   But…I’ll be with friends and loved ones!   That’s what’s important!

Image compliments of the University of Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment