Monday, May 28, 2012

Vietnam...50 years later.

Aside from WWI & WWII...I think the rest of the wars in the 20th century were for naught...considering the lives lost and the national sacrifices made.   But then again...I'm against war at any cost (at least as they have been justified to the American public in the 21st century...thank you Mr. Bush).

However, on this memorial day...in recognition of the 50th anniversary of the start of the war in Vietnam...I can't help but think of the 58+ thousand Americans who lost their lives and the controversy surrounding the design of its memorial.

If you haven't been to the Vietnam memorial...you need to make a visit!   On my first visit, I noticed that the closer I got...the quieter it got.   When you finally reach the right end entrance to the wall...there is almost dead silence, except for the weeping whispers of those touching the wall or making etchings from the names on the wall...or those leaving behind memories of the loved ones that they lost to this war.

I think it's an incredible monument.   It grabs you by the heart and it's hard to leave without a tear in your eyes.   The memorial was designed by Miya Lin.   Her proposal ignited a lot of controversy.   Many called it the "black gash of shame"!   You can read more about the controversy here.

Thank you Miya Lin and to all those Americans that fought in the war...and especially those that didn't return.   I knew a few of them.   My brother served...but he was one of the lucky ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment