Monday, September 7, 2009

What do Ecuador, Peru, Jamaica, Germany & Mexico have in common?

It's Sunday, Sept. 6th... the day after the wedding (see below)...Labor Day weekend in America. My youngest daughter (mother of Romell...see 1st entry) calls to see how the wedding went and what we were doing. Two months earlier...knowing that her due date was too close to the wedding date... she checked "Will not attend" on the rsvp card. We shared some of the wedding details with her...but not all the excitement...because we didn't want her to feel that she missed a lot (she did!).

Anyway...she tells us we're invited to her in-laws for an impromptu backyard BBQ. The Mrs. makes her newly discovered "international" potato salad (recipe forth coming...maybe?), and her infamous baked beans. I make 2 gallons of my newly discovered/created...rum punch (recipe forth coming).

Best friends of my daughter/son-in-law are also invited. They bring their newborn son. He was born one week after Romell. He is one week old...Romell is two weeks! Pictures are taken...babies side by side. A bunch of oohs and aahs!

Midway through the evening...we're all on the back deck...drinks in hand watching the fire in the fire pit. There are about 16 of us in all....aged one week old to an aging baby boomer (me)! The Mrs. makes a statement..."Wow" she says. We all look at her. Huh?

She says "take a look around"..."I was born in Jamaica". She then points out that our youngest daughter's mother-in-law is from Ecuador and her husband is from Peru. My daughter's/son-in-law's best friend is from Mexico...and his wife is from from Columbia. My oldest daughter's husband (German) smiles. I smile (my grandparents are from Bermuda). A good time was had by all.

IMAGINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment