Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

My youngest daughter was attending Cooper Union. That morning I dropped her off at the local Connecticut Metro North train station...business as usual...around 7:45AM...destination Manhattan. Cooper Union is 2 miles from the WTC complex.




The planes hit...the anxiety was overwhelming. My baby was in Manhattan! Finally, the phone finally rang at 11:30AM. She was calling from a pay phone (you remember those) from the basement of Cooper Union. Hardly anyone knew of this pay phone because, at the time, all the other students had cell phones...except, of course, my daughter! Cell phone service was out!


She saw the south tower fall.


I asked her to call me every hour and I would give her updates...based on the latest news from CNN & MSNBC. She said she wanted to leave...but I begged her to stay put!




Around 3:00PM she called to say she was going to walk the 50+ blocks to Grand Central Train Station. I was reluctant and anxious. Train service was restored around 4:30PM and she caught the 1st train out! I met her at the platform. It was a reunion I will never forget!


In New York City...2750 people lost their lives that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment