Sunday, September 20, 2009

No more good-byes!

Saturday, Sept. 19th
Just prior to his departure...we were in the kitchen talking about all the incredible....wonderful...happy things that had happened over the previous three or so weeks. A wedding...that we all thought would not happen (visa complications)...but did, a new addition to the family (aka...my grandson, Romell), multiple gatherings with family, friends, food, drinks and laughter...and another new addition to our extended family (aka...Mikael)! It was truly an awesome and eventful couple of weeks!

So there we were...my soon-to-be departed son-in-law (SiL) heading back to Munich, Germany, his wife...my oldest daughter (MOD), my youngest daughter (MYD)...her newborn son (Romell)...me & The Mrs.

I don't recall who came up with the initial thought, but it was unanimously agreed that we would no longer use the word "good-bye" whenever it came time to leave one another. "See ya' later" was a much better option! The latter just left us all with a feeling that we would see each other soon thereafter (maybe Xmas?) rather than...God knows when?

There were hugs and kisses, then we loaded the car and SiL, MOD and I left for JFK Airport.

SiL checked in for Delta flight 81 to Amsterdam with connecting service to Munich. The three of us proceeded to the security clearance area. SiL gave me a hug...and reminded me of our pact. We hugged each other and he hugged/kissed his wife (MOD). I got a little "va-klept" (I'm not your basic alpha macho male)...SiL came back and gave me another hug and we said, "See ya' later!...he went through the security clearance...looked back and gave us another "See ya' later" wave...and then he was gone.

Sunday, Sept. 20th
Now it's MOD's turn to leave. LGA to Philadelphia...connecting service to Frankfurt, Germany and then on to Nuremberg. MOD and I leave for LGA...with a stop at the local supermarket...to pick up some sushi for her to eat en-route to the airport. MOD pays for said sushi.

We arrive at LGA. I drop off MOD on the departure level...park the car and return to departure area. MOD is checking in...and chatting with ticketing agent (TA).

MOD - "Will my luggage transfer all the way through to Nuremberg?"
TA - "Yes."
MOD - "Great!"
TA - "Is this your Dad?"
MOD - "Yes."
TA - "Sir, would you like to accompany your daughter to the gate area?"
Me - "I can do that???" (been traveling for mucho years...didn't know this was an option!)
TA - "Is your car just outside on the departure level?"
Me - "No...I'm in the the parking lot."
TA - "Great!" (TA passes me a "complimentary" boarding pass...to get me through security) WOW! (being nice doesn't have to be hard!) Many thanks TA...I wish I would have gotten your name!

MOD and I take off shoes, belts, keys, (me...flip flops) etc. (thanks to Mr. Bin Laden!) and pass through security and proceed to departure gate. MOD sees news/book kiosk and mentions she'd like to get a crossword puzzle book with the added benefit that I can pick up my Sunday New York Times! We proceed to cashier. MOD goes into her jumbo pocket book...I tell her "Don't worry...I've got it". We leave kiosk!

MOD - "Dad?"
Me - "What's up?"
MOD - (Still digging through her jumbo pocket book)..."I can't find my wallet!" (she had used her passport to get this far through the airport security complexities!)
Me - "Let's find a table...and you can empty your (jumbo) bag."
MOD - "Uh oh!"
Me - "What?"
MOD - "I think I left my wallet in the car." (15 minutes to boarding time!) You remember the sushi purchase!

We run back to the security checkpoint and explain the situation to the security folks. They tell me once I retrieve the missing wallet (left in the passenger door-side pocket...of all places!)...I can return to the security check-in area...and they will then pass the wallet to MOD. Knowing that they will not let me back in (past the security area), I bear hug MOD and say "See ya' later!"

Once again...I'm va-klept! Run to car! Wallet is there. Return to departure/security area. Pass wallet to security person...she runs it through security conveyor belt and hands it to MOD. MOD and I wave to each other from afar (she's on one side of security and I'm on the other).

I yell out..."See ya' later!" She gave me two thumbs up...I return to the parking lot.

Epilogue:
Had that Ticket Agent not given me that complimentary pass...I would not have known that MOD had left her wallet in (the door pocket) of the car. Even if MOD realized her wallet was missing...prior to boarding...she couldn't call me...because...yours truly...left his cell phone at home! Thanks again Ticket Agent (TA)! It's not hard to be nice!

No more good-byes!

3 comments: