Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th...again.

I left my house at about 8:30AM today…on my way to my 1st lymphoma treatment.   As I stepped out my front door, I was amazed at how beautiful a day it was...crystal clear, with ice blue and skies devoid of any clouds...a pleasant temperature in the high 60s.   It was absolutely beautiful!   The first thing that came to my mind was how the beauty of this morning was EXACTLY the same as September 11th, 2001.   Not even Photoshop could have improved on the cloudless, bluest of skies.   Absolutely beautiful!   Perhaps the photo below was enhanced with Photoshop…but this morning’s sky looked damn close to the sky depicted in this image!

  • 8:46AM - American flight #11 crashes into the World Trade Center north tower (1 WTC)
  • 9:03AM - United flight #175 crashes in the south tower (2 WTC)
  • 9:37AM - American flight #77 crashes in to the Pentagon
  • 9:58AM - the south tower collapses
  • 10:03AM - United flight #93 crashes in Pennsylvania
  • 10:28AM - the north tower collapses
  • 11:45AM - my daughter www.studio162.com calls from a payphone (cell phones didn’t work and she didn’t own one at the time!) in the basement of Cooper Union (located less that 3 miles from the World Trade Center) to tell us she’s okay.
Epilogue:
Here’s where we are today!   Still quibbling over finances…of the yet-to-be-completed Memorial Musuem.

And although the new “Freedom Tower”reaches 1776 feet…I’m not impressed by the overall design and I think it looks really bland.   IMHO, from an architectural perspective, I had hoped the decision would have been to go with the original Daniel Libeskind design!   I thought it was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment