Monday, September 3, 2012

IKEA made my Labor Day!

Hey, the Mrs. and I have been searching for quite some time on the right desk/sewing table for her quilting compassion/endeavors.   Last weekend, after months and months of searching, we stumbled across these beauties from IKEA.

The MALM Desk:

The MALM desk with a pullout extension!   Right width, right length, and almost the perfect height!   Grab it!

As we continued to stumble through the IKEA maze...we also found another beauty...the Alex!

Great for storing quilting rulers, needles, spools of threads and all the other quilting paraphernalia.   So as the rest of you ventured to the beach or a backyard BBQ...I grabbed the hammer and a phillips head screw driver and went to work!

First...the MALM desk...lay out the parts...

So grab the tools...and let's try to put this together...

Viola!   Just under an hour and a half and it's already quilt ready!   Perhaps using my power drill would have cut this down by a half hour or more?

Now on to the Alex drawers!

Rule # 1 with IKEA...lay out all the parts 1st!   Just my 2 cents!   So here are the Alex parts!

This Time...I had enough smarts to use my power drill!   Proably cut the "assembly time" in half!   DUH!   Why didn't I think of the power drill back at the MALM stage???

And so here is the completed "Alex" abutting the aforementioned MALM.   I'm happy with the results...but more importantly...so is the Mrs!

1 comment:

  1. Really nice! I'm looking for a sewing table too and this really helps. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete