Sunday, May 11, 2014

"Hello...this is American Airlines..."

Thursday, May 8th around noon:
Phone rings.   I don't pick up.   Automatically switches over to our answering machine.

"Hello.   This is American Airlines calling with a flight update.   Unfortunately, American Airlines flight #101 from London's Heathrow to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport is now expected to depart at 11:00am and due to arrive at JFK at 2:15pm.   This call may be recorded."

WTF?   Must be a wrong number?

Around 5:00pm my youngest daughter shows up with our grandson in tow.   As is often the case, he likes to sneak up the stairs and jump into the kitchen and yell...SURPRISE!   Thursday was no exception.   However, a few seconds later, someone else yelled surprise!

Who you might ask?   It was my oldest daughter (who resides in London...DUH)!   She and her sister had planned this surprise over the course of the last week or so!   Needless to say, my wife and I were in a state of shock!   Hugs & kisses and yes...a few tears flowed!

Why the surprise visit?

  • My wife (her mother) just retired.
  • I had just been released from the hospital after knee surgery.
  • Mother's Day!
  • Our 40th wedding anniversary!   Just happened to fall on Mother's Day this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment