So I go visit my oncologist. Well not really the dude that's treating me...but one of his co-horts. Nurse draws the blood and all the other stuff..temperature, blood pressure, etc. Co-hort comes in 15 minutes later and asks the usual questions and tells me that all is well. Good news...I was in and out of there in 40 minutes...a record!
I get home at 4:30pm. An hour later...co-hort calls and wants me to go to the hospital for an EKG and other tests. Why...because my potassium level is elevated (5.9) and she's concerned! My response..."it's Friday at 5:15pm...can't I do this on Monday"? Her response..."if I thought this could wait until Monday...I would not have called you tonight"!!!
- 5:30pm - depart home
- 6:00pm - arrive at hospital and "sign in". Told to sit in the waiting area.
- 6:35pm - my name is called. "Come with me".
- 6:40pm - Take an EKG, temperature & blood pressure (127 over 84)
- 6:50pm - Escorted to a gurney in the emergency room hallway because all the "rooms" are occupied.
- 7:05pm - "Administrator" interviews me to collect all the relevant data, medical history, HIPPA stuff, insurance etc. Says he's going on a break.
- 7:20pm - Nurse dashes by me (I'm still in the hallway) and tells me...she'll "be right back to draw blood".
- 7:45pm - "Blood" nurse is back and draws blood. "We'll have result in an hour"
- 7:55pm - Another nurse comes to take my blood pressure (now 120 over 81...not bad!)
- 8:05pm - Doctor shows up. Asks questions...ie..."why am I here"?. I tell him the my oncologist co-hort told me to come here...TONIGHT! Doctor tells me that once he gets the blood results, he'll get back to me.
- 9:00pm - Doctor tells me all is ok. EKG was cool and potassium was 4.8 versus the 5.9 (that caused oncologist co-hort concern). Also suggests that I contact my internist...because two of the prescriptions that I take are known to elevate potassium levels!!!
- 9:30pm - Arrive back home!