Friday, March 11, 2011

Re-li-gion - noun

[ri-lij-uhn]
  1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny
  2. any formal or institutionalized expression of such belief: the Christian religion
  3. the attitude and feeling of one who believes in a transcendent controlling power or powers
I happen to be at the bleeding edge of the baby boomer generation.   As such, part of the deal is that I am scheduled for intestinal surgery this coming Tuesday, March 15th (the Ides of March).   Stuff like this happens to some of us boomers!   I had to pre-register at the hospital yesterday.   I’ve been to this hospital before.   (You’d think that in this day and age most, if not all, of this “pre-registration” information/process would be automated and already in their system…but that’s yet another blog entry!)

During the pre-registration process, the administrator asked me to concur with some questions as she read off my basic information (on file); name, address, date-of-birth, social security number, etc.   Then she twisted her face a little and said…Religion?   None?   I responded/confirmed…Yes!   Religion none!   (I should have said…does that make me a bad person…but I didn’t).



I need to write more about this aspect of my life…and I plan to do so in the near future.   I really believe that, as Karl Marx once said, “religion is the opiate of the people!”   When you consider all the world’s conflicts and all that is wrong with this world…it all boils down to one thing…religion.



And, unfortunately, America is one of the most religious of all the industrialized nations on this planet.   That fact, affects ALL aspects of American life…especially politics!   That, combined with America’s questionable electoral intellect…leaves me depressed and distraught regarding the future of this country.

Regarding America’s intellect…31% of Republican Americans believe that President Obama is a Muslim.   It’s incredulous that they do, but they do…but even if it were true…who gives a f**k!   Americans do…that’s who!   It’s scary!   And they had doubts because Kennedy was a Catholic!   God help us!   God???

No comments:

Post a Comment