"In early 2009, statisticians inside the Googleplex in California embarked on a plan code-named Project Oxygen.
Their mission was to devise something far more important to the future of Google Inc. than its next search algorithm or app.
They wanted to build better bosses.
So, as only a data-mining giant like Google can do, it began analyzing performance reviews, feedback surveys and nominations for top-manager awards. They correlated phrases, words, praise and complaints.
Later that year, the “people analytics” teams at the company produced what might be called the Eight Habits of Highly Effective Google Managers."
Here are the results (in a nutshell)! Based on employee feedback! Nothing new here...but what a unique concept! Data mining only as Goggle can do it! Listen up corporate America!
- Be a good coach
- Empower your team and don't micromanage
- Express interest in team member's success and personal well-being
- Don't be a sissy: Be productive and results-oriented
- Be a good communicator and listen to your team
- Help your employees with career development
- Have a clear vision and strategy for the team
- Have key technical skills so you can help adviser the team.