Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Oma

I hardly knew her…but I loved what I knew about her.   I believe she came from somewhat humble beginnings and had a relatively hard life…at least according to American standards.   She was a child of East Germany and survived the WW II bombing of Dresden, Germany.   That, in its self is noteworthy.

I first met her in Dresden.   It was the Xmas of 2002.   She was jolly and welcomed us with opened arms.   Her Xmas present to us were these incredible hand knitted socks.   I have them on now as I write this.

Her first (and only) trip to America (at the age of 82) was to witness her grandson’s marriage to my daughter.   It was also her first time on a plane!   That was two and a half years ago and that was another memorable occasion.   She seemed to enjoy every minute of it.   She jumped into the cold waters of a Pocono Mountains lake...as we all looked on in amazement/disbelief.   She enjoyed some wine and shared in the excitement at the pre-wedding day celebration, and beamed with joy during the wedding day itself!   And she had the chance to visit with us in our home. Again, that was the late spring of 2007.

Unfortunately, she left us on Monday.   Rest in peace Oma!   It was a short but sweet time together.   Thanks for the fond memories…and the socks!   I’ll think of you every time I put them on!

1 comment:

  1. i have a warmness in my heart when i think of oma and her jolly laugh as she gave me a knitting lesson in german. isnt it interesting how some people make an everlasting impression is a short time. learning how to do that would be a lovely legacy.

    ReplyDelete